Thursday, December 4, 2008

Make it an amendment

Jason Mraz's song "I'm Yours". I'm not necessarily a fan of his, but today a lyric struck me. Probably because my Christian university radio station usually bleeps out the word "God" in the expression God-forsaken. First time I heard it was a little jarring, like hitting the bottom step of a staircase wrong. "It's our (big silent space) forsaken right to be loved." Trust me, I don't believe in censorship, but it occured to me just now that bleeping out that word is probably a good thing. Why?

Our right to be loved is not God-forsaken. God created us with the right to be loved. If we are not loved, it's man-forsaken. Either because we won't or can't commit ourselves to caring for each other. As the producers of Love Actually reminded us, true love comes in many forms--from sex to colleagues. I went to school with a brilliant guy who once uttered this brilliant statement:

"The whole problem with the world is that there is only one word in the English language for love."

No comments: